Thursday, March 22, 2007

My book "Melas Angels"--Betty's first year (4)

Betty's first year--continue (4)

I had registered for a place in a place in a day-care center near my work place right before Betty was born but I had not heard from them, which meant only one thing – it still had no spot for Betty. Meanwhile, my 16-week maternity leave was about to end and I had to return to work soon. The one alternative is to hire temporary babysitter while waiting to hear from the day-care center. We saw an advertisement in a small local Chinese newspaper, which said:” a middle-age Chinese lady was willing to look after children at her home”. We also noticed that her address was near our home. So we contacted her. She was Mrs. Lee. Her fee was quite standard (even though it is equivalent to half my monthly salary) and as we could afford it, I took on. We will just use the help of Mrs. Lee until we get a spot at the day-care center when I could apply for Government subsidy.

When my maternity leave ended, I went back to work. Soon after, I changed job. Still working in the same area, in a high-tech company, but the salary was much higher. Patrick worked in another high-tech company in the same area.

No comments: