Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My book "Melas Angels"--Betty's first year (2)

Betty's first year--continue (2)

A few days later, my parents and my brother and sister all came to visit us. All of them were fighting to hold Betty.

Patrick’s family was still living in Hong Kong and had not yet immigrated to Canada, so we just called them through long distance calls to give them the good news, and also sent them photographs of Betty.

At that time, the Government policy was for staff to take a maximum of 16 weeks maternity leave at 60% basic salary. I took the option of taking the maximum leave to stay home to look after Betty.

Baby Betty was not easy to look after. She woke up and cried every second hour round the clock. It was exhausting to say the least.

Betty could drink 2 oz. of milk each feeding, I was not sure if this was because she was tired after sucking the 2 oz. of milk. When a visiting nurse came to my house a month later to visit Betty and me, I explained the situation to her. The nurse suggested I fed Betty with some glucose solution and alternate it with milk if Betty wakes up every two hours. She didn’t find anything wrong with Betty.

No comments: